Propane Safety with Harris Comfort
All year long, propane is the fuel of choice for home heating, grills, pool heaters, fire pits and other home appliances. Having propane stored right on your property is one of the benefits of being a Harris Comfort propane customer. As with any fuel, however, it’s important to know the proper way to react in the rare occurrence of a leak. By following the proper protocol, you can keep your home, family and equipment safe!
- Know the Smell! Propane leaks are detectable by its distinct smell – if you detect a sulfur or rotten egg odor, it’s a good indication of a propane leak.
- Avoid Open Flames and Electronics! Don’t use appliances with open flames or electronics, including cellphones that can cause sparks or static build up in the area of the leak.
- Clear the Area! Get everyone out of the area immediately. Don’t hang around to try and confirm if a leak is occurring – better to be safe than sorry!
- Shut the Valve! If possible, close the valve on the tank by turning it to the right (clockwise). You may be able to reduce the amount of propane leaking, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the area is safe.
- Call the Pros! Contact Harris Comfort, or call 911 or the local fire department, from a neighbor’s home to report the leak as soon as possible. The sooner it’s reported, the sooner it can be handled properly.
- Stay Clear! Do not return to the area until a first responder, or qualified Harris Comfort technician, determines the area is safe – and don’t use your propane system again until a Harris Comfort technician confirms it’s safe to do so.
Knowing how to handle these situations can save lives, and at Harris Comfort we want our customers to be prepared for anything! To find out more about propane safety and Harris Comfort’s propane products and services, contact us today!