Stay Safe With Harris Comfort and Propane
Pennsylvania homeowners know about the versatility of propane. In fact, it’s one of the must universal of residential fuels, having the ability to power a wide range of appliances, including home heating systems, water heaters, pool heaters, cooking ranges, whole-home standby generators and much more!
Many Harris Comfort customers enjoy using propane fuel in their homes. Not just because it’s versatile, but also because of is long-running streak of safety thanks to the rules and regulations behind the use of propane in residential properties.
Although propane is a safe fuel, it’s always important to know how to respond in the rare case of a propane leak! Read about what to do in case of a propane leak in your home, and share it with your household so everyone is on the same page!
If you believe you detect a propane leak…
- NO FLAMES OR SPARKS! Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
- LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY! Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
- SHUT OFF THE GAS. Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
- REPORT THE LEAK. From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call us right away. If you can’t reach us for any reason, call 911 or your local fire department.
- DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA until technician or your local fire official determines that it is safe to do so.
- GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED. Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, a qualified gas service technician from Harris Comfort must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
No matter the season, our customers’ safety is the most important thing to us. That’s why we’re sharing this information with you now! If you believe your propane system is prone to leaking, or have any other safety concerns, call us for immediate assistance.